In his book Living for God’s Glory, Joel Beeke offers several diagnostic questions based on 1 Corinthians that provide, as he calls it, a biblical formula for holy living before God and man:
1. Does this glorify God? (1 Cor. 10:31)
2. Is this consistent with the lordship of Christ? (1 Cor. 7:23)
3. Is this consistent with biblical examples? (1 Cor. 11:1)
4. Is this lawful and beneficial for me-spiritually, mentally, and physically? (1 Cor. 6:9-12)
5. Does this help others positively and not hurt others unnecessarily? (1 Cor. 10:33; 8:13)
6. Does this bring me under any enslaving power? (1 Cor. 6:12)
These are wise questions to consider—ones that force us to look beyond ourselves and toward how our actions might affect other people and our witness to God—whenever we find ourselves hesitating over a course of action.