Viewmasters and eyeglasses. Both let you see things, but with very different results. One let you see, with varying degrees of clarity, a miniature world that had nothing to do with your life. Mickey Mouse might look close enough to touch, but when you put down the Viewmaster you weren’t going to find him standing in your living room. But glasses are different. Put on a pair of glasses and suddenly everything in your world took on new crispness. You could see things you had never seen before.
Too often we read the Bible as though it’s a Viewmaster, not a pair of eyeglasses.
Kindle deals for Christian readers
Some of these deals may be over even before you read this, so act quickly:
- Live Like A Narnian: Christian Discipleship in Lewis’s Chronicles by Joe Rigney—$3.99
- The Quiet Place by Nancy Leigh DeMoss ($1.99)
- The Church Planting Wife by Christine Hoover ($1.99)
- On Being a Pastor by Alistair Begg and Derek Prime ($1.99)
- Fierce Womenby Kimberly Wagner ($1.99)
- Worship Leaders, We Are Not Rock Stars by Stephen Miller—$1.99
- Dining with the Devil by Os Guinness—$2.99
- Pastors in the Classics by Philip & Leland Ryken—$3.99
- Recovering the Real Lost Gospel by Darrell L. Bock—$2.99
- Everyday Theology—99¢
- Boring by Michael Kelley—$4.99
- Otherworld by Jared C. Wilson—$1.99 (last day for this deal!)
- Jack: A Life of C. S. Lewis by George Sayer—$2.99
- Gospel Deeps by Jared C Wilson—$2.99
- God Who Is There, The: Finding Your Place in God’s Story by D.A. Carson—$3.99
- Blood Work by Anthony Carter—FREE (ends today!)
I have heard you are struggling to fight the funk that has found its way to your doorstep, into your home, and has met you lying in your bed paralyzed by the thought of facing the day. I am so sorry that you are feeling this way. All too often, I can relate.
R.C. Sproul Jr:
An aspiring theology wonk can often find himself swimming in a bewildering ocean of acronyms. Since we no longer debate our theology over the course of hours, but often do so using only our thumbs, shorthand is valuable, but challenging. Just when you realized the role of iaoc to npp and fv (that is, the imputation of the active obedience of Christ to the New Perspective on Paul and Federal Vision), now comes R2k.
I’ll get right to the point. I think President Obama would have bombed the Canaanites way before God annihilated them. Why am I even bringing up this hypothetical situation? Are statements like this even helpful for us today in our walk with God? For those questions I need to back up a little bit.