Yeah, we know. There are a bajillion lists out there describing people’s top books of the year. But we’re not doing that… at least, not exactly. Instead, Barnabas, Dave and Aaron are sharing a few of their favorite reads from 2018 (with more than a little mocking and teasing along the way). Listen in as:
- We share the books we feel are overrated
- Aaron and Barnabas disagree over Aaron’s assessment of Spiritual Leadership by Oswald Sanders
- We explore what a good “best of” book list should be
- Barnabas continues to be bitter about missing the Leif Enger interview and his plan to get revenge
- We learn which role we each play in the devil and angel on someone’s shoulder
Virgil Wander aside, here are our favorite reads from 2018:
- The Fifth Risk by Michael Lewis
- The Gospel-Driven Church by Jared Wilson
- Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynn Truss
- Everybody Lies by Seth Stephens-Davidowitz
- Justice League: The Totality by Scott Snyder, Jorge Jimenez & Jim Chung
- Dark Nights: Metal by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
- Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
- The Captain Class by Sam Walker
- Pistol: The Life of Pete Maravich by Mark Kriegel
- As You Wish by Cary Elwes
- A Long Obedience in the Same Direction by Eugene Peterson
- First Man: The Life of Neil Armstrong by James R. Hansen
- Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden
- The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
- Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield
- Shoe Dog by Phil Knight
- Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann
Bonus 1: The photo from a recent trip to McKay’s, a terrific used bookstore here in Nashville, that we mentioned toward the end of this episode:
Bonus 2: We felt so bad that Barnabas had to miss out on the Leif Enger interview back in November that we felt we had to do something to raise his spirits a bit. So, Leif kindly wrote him a note. Check it out:
Sharing and supporting the show
- Leave a five-star rating and review on Apple Podcasts. This only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show.
- If you know someone who would benefit from listening, share the show on your favorite social media network.
- Give us a follow on Twitter at @malContentsPod
- We use affiliate links from Amazon to help us pay for the costs of producing and hosting the podcast. Be sure to purchase a book or ten that we talk about on every episode.
- Interested in sponsoring Table of (mal)Contents? Let’s talk via email or DM @malContentsPod on Twitter.