Of all the people on this podcast, I (Aaron) am the least interested in sports. Hockey, baseball, football, curling, lacrosse, lawn darts… none of it. But in a recent effort to try a new genre, I downloaded a sports book. On this episode we talk about that experience and more. Listen to hear:
- How a non-sports fan can enjoy sports books
- Why Aaron is the worst Canadian ever because he doesn’t care about hockey
- What Aaron liked (and didn’t) about Gretzky’s hockey book
- What’s similar about Michael Jordan and Steve Jobs
- The proper way to pronounce “toque”
Here are a few of the books we discussed on today’s episode:
- Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis
- 99: Stories of the Game by Wayne Gretzky
- Wait Till Next Year – A Memoir by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown
- Seabiscuit: An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand
- The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to The Sports Guy by Bill Simmons
- Beartown: A Novel by Fredrik Backman
- Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream by H.G. Bissinger
- The Boys of Summer by Roger Kahn
- Michael Jordan: The Life by Roland Lazenby
- The Miracle of St. Anthony: A Season with Coach Bob Hurley and Basketball’s Most Improbable Dynasty by AdrianWojnarowski
- The Soul of Baseball: A Road Trip Through Buck O’Neil’s America by Joe Posnanski
Shortly after this episode, Aaron went to McKay’s, a terrific used bookstore in Nashville, and found a few of the books we talked about to start reading. Check it out:
Sharing and supporting the show
- Leave a five-star rating and review on Apple Podcasts. This only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show.
- If you know someone who would benefit from listening, share the show on your favorite social media network.
- Give us a follow on Twitter at @malContentsPod
- We use affiliate links from Amazon to help us pay for the costs of producing and hosting the podcast. Be sure to purchase a book or ten that we talk about on every episode.
- Interested in sponsoring Table of (mal)Contents? Let’s talk via email or DM @malContentsPod on Twitter.