Dave’s daughter was recently traumatized when she read Where the Red Fern Grows, and we got to thinking: why the heck to teachers keep asking kids to read this book? Listen in as we discuss:
- Why Dave’s still not sleeping and the Legend of Winston
- What we think about this seemingly psychotic habit of authors writing books where the dog always dies
- Why there’s no “the cat dies” genre and if there are any cats that are heroes in books
- Why there’s a no-pets rule in the Armstrong house
- What book adaptations would Nicolas Cage completely ruin by starring in (thanks Judson for recommending this topic)
- Which director(s) ruined Superman
A few of the books we mention on this episode:
- Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
- Old Yeller by Fred Gipson
- The Yearling by Marjorie Kinan Rawlings
- The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
- High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
- The Princess Bride by William Goldman
- Black Klansman by Ron Stallworth
- Stan Musial: An American Life by George Vecsey
- The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
- Lethal White by Robert Galbraith
This week’s bonus content:
The trailer for the documentary, “The Death of ‘Superman Lives’: What Happened?”
And for the image that made Barnabas laugh so hard:
Sharing and supporting the show
- Leave a five-star rating and review on Apple Podcasts. This only takes a second and will go a long way to helping other people find the show.
- If you know someone who would benefit from listening, share the show on your favorite social media network.
- Give us a follow on Twitter at @malContentsPod
- We use affiliate links from Amazon to help us pay for the costs of producing and hosting the podcast. Be sure to purchase a book or ten that we talk about on every episode.
- Interested in sponsoring Table of (mal)Contents? Let’s talk via email or DM @malContentsPod on Twitter.